Wedding Cake Topper

Wedding Cake Topper

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Problem-Solving Couples: A Summer of Settling Wedding Dilemmas

Well, folks, it's been a whirlwind wedding season thus far, and I'm already scheduling weddings for next season (thanks for the heads up, guys!) Unfortunately, I haven't been as consistent as I have been in the past, and for that, I'm so sorry!

One unexpected theme running through the past months has been problem solving certain wedding dilemmas that have plagued me for a while. Now for some of you, these things may not be much of a thought, but as an avid wedding goer, there are just some things that have yet to find a settled place in the wedding dynamic. Lucky for me, I've had a few friends who are creative enough with these issues to help fill a few holes for me in these wedding practices.

Greeting line:

This first solution was brought to my attention by my good friends Jim and Meredith Brewer (Yes, Meredith, you finally made it into my blog!) The Brewers helped me solve a very prominent issue in a very unique way. The greeting line seems to be an old fashioned idea that many couples have a hard time fitting into their wedding lineup; however, without this line, the wedding duo seem to struggle with greeting each participant of their day. So, it seems that a greeting line is essential, yet couples cannot seem to figure out where to put it in the midst of everything going on and keep the flow of the wedding festivities going.

But being the problem solving couple that they are, Jim and Meredith decided to take the greeting line to the guests by dismissing everyone one row at a time, standing at the exit of that row to shake hands and hug them as they leave. That way, they literally greet everyone, while they are still in one place (sure solves the issue of hitting the moving targets at the reception.) I had never seen this done before and was very impressed by the efficiency of it.

Of course, this being a small wedding, it was perfect. For those who may say, "What if I have hundreds of people at my wedding?!" I think this solution has put me on a path of discovering how this could be done on a much broader scale. In a way, this is early research of a much greater cure for the greeting line issue. There is a way to have an organized way of greeting all of your guests without having to disrupt the rest of the flow (that has always been my problem with greeting lines going in to the reception.) For those great innovators, the Brewers, bravo! Keep up the proactive approach to life #forillrillfase.

CONFESSION: I didn't actually take this pic of Jim and Meredith,
but I didn't think any of the pics I got were good enough and this was directly prior to the
greeting line. So, what the hey, it's crazy adorable anyway:)


Filming (a wedding production):

If I could nominate a couple for "Most Well Produced Wedding," it would go to Seth and Madison Geiger. If you've been keeping up with my blog from the beginning, you know that one of my pet peeves of the bride/groom side of the aisle is that you can't see the face of the person you're there for. The same issue also comes in sitting in the back of the sanctuary, you came to see a glow and you're settling for a faint light.

If you could see me right now, you'd see me standing and applauding Seth and Madison for what they did to remedy this situation. They made use of the cameras and screens used in their church services, and videoed in such a way that guests could observe the ceremony on the screens! Meaning, though we were physically there, we could see their faces on the screen throughout the whole ceremony.


A great shot of the beautiful couple from one of the screens!
There's nothing more heart warming than getting to actually see
the people you love get married:)


Now, I know there may be a few objections to this by many a couple, "I don't want a camera in my face during my wedding, it's uncomfortable!" But I feel like the Geigers did this in a less invasive way. There were, essentially, two shots (one above and behind them, and one behind the minister). They produced it just right, that the cameras would trade off shots, and neither was close enough to disrupt what was happening, or to even be noticeable. It was so nice, as a guest, to be able to see their faces and see them well! That's the stuff you show up to a wedding for:)


To some of you, the dilemmas of greeting lines and facial views may not mean much, but as someone who strives to help people create their perfect wedding day, I'm consistently seeking out the little things and helping people solve the riddles. I try to do this by taking things from real life, not just in theory. I don't want to necessarily feed an idea I haven't seen pulled off. That's why I tell stories, that's why I share photos, and that's why I give true life examples. Of course, I highly recommend websites like Pinterest and The Knot, but the purpose of this blog is not to share secondhand advice, but to talk about my firsthand experiences. That's why I refuse to be called a wedding expert by my friends, I only know what I know, and profess to know nothing else. So, I hope what I have revealed up to this point has helped you. If not, I hope you've gotten plenty of laughs:)


BONUS PHOTO: My mom and I at the Geiger wedding:)

No comments:

Post a Comment